Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Alterations: Something you may not have thought to shop around for

I bought my dress a couple months ago and absolutely love it.  The price wasn't too bad (where they get you is the accessories like the veil, bra and slip).  After you buy a dress, the sales staff automatically assumes you are having your alterations done at the store.  I was so excited about the dress I went ahead and made the alteration appointment.  Once I got home and wasn't quite as delirious over how much I loved my dress, I called the alterations department to see how much it would be to hem the dress.  My dress laces up in the back, so I knew I wouldn't need the other alterations.  When I called and told the alterations lady this, she said to hem a wedding dress started at $75 and wouldn't be more than $120.  I about fell over.  Needless to say, this budget bride cancelled her alterations appointment.

Luckily, I knew a sewing shop in my hometown where I had my prom dress altered.  Since I have already had a dress altered there, I knew she could handle my wedding dress.  My prom dress even needed other alterations than just hemming.  So a few weeks ago I took it to the seamstress and tried it on.  I even had her add a bustle so I could keep the bottom from getting as dirty at the reception.  For the hemming and the bustle, it cost $35.00.  The dress looked just as good as if I had had the store do it, but I paid less than half the price.

My advice for soon-to-be brides is to look around and talk to those you know about a good seamstress they might know.  Chances are, someone will know someone and they won't charge as much as a bridal store.  I would make sure to check out a place before taking your dress there, though, because you want to make sure your wedding dress is in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment