Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Less than three months from the BIG day :)

Hello first blog readers.  I hope you enjoy my postings on here and find them useful.  Before I start talking about money saving and what I've done, I thought I'd give some background information about myself.

My fiance, Jon Hickman, and I have been together for over 4 years.  We are both college students.  We first met when we worked together at a local restaurant in our hometown, but didn't really know each other well at the time. Well, we may have actually met when we were little because we attended the same church, but neither of us remember! We then reconnected in December of 2006 and started to communicate through Myspace (that shows how long we've been together lol). We started dating on February 1, 2007 when I was still a senior in high school.

After wanting to get married for awhile, Jon asked me to marry him on December 21, 2010. By the way, he surprised me at work and sang and played guitar for me (You and Me by Lifehouse)!  We then set our wedding date for five months later, May 21, 2011.   At first I was really worried about planning a wedding in five months, but it has been surprisingly possible and we actually have most of it done.  My mom has been a HUGE help in the wedding planning process.  She and I like to plan things and we've really teamed up in the last couple months and have accomplished way more than I thought possible.

During this process, I have been finishing my last quarter of my Bachelor of Arts. I have also been job hunting and Jon has been in the process of moving and adapting to a new city and a new job. Through all of this, we have been able to plan a lot of the wedding, so I believe anything is possible!

I want to say in this first post that the advice I give is simply that.  It's my advice and readers may care more about things that I did not care as much about and vice versa.  I do want to end this post with some of the best advice you will ever get on here.  Starting your life with the person you love is much more important than one day.  A wedding day goes by in a flash and while I believe it's important to try to make it yours and enjoy it, it is so much more important that you are getting ready to spend your life with someone.  A wedding is a day and marriage is a lifetime (well not always, but it's almost always longer than a day!)  Please keep that in mind as you start down the journey of wedding planning and take a minute to make sure you want to spend your life with the person.  And if you decide you want to, keep reminding yourself during the planning process what is truly important. I know it will be hard, but it can save you a lot of money and frustration if you remember this advice.


1 comment:

  1. AWWWWEE . . . That's soo sweet Sarah. However, I have some bad news for you. This "Sarah Douglas Hickman" stuff is only of fantasy darling. :p LOL. Love YOU! Oh, and very good advice. Though, I's sure that there has been some marriages last less than a day . . . this is America ya know! ;)

    ReplyDelete